Sec. 10-51. Amount of license.
It shall be unlawful for any person to own a dog four months old or over in the county unless such dog is licensed as required by this article. Dog licenses shall run by the calendar year, namely, from January 1 to December 31, inclusive; and this license tax shall be payable at the office of the treasurer and shall be as follows:
(1) For any single dog, regardless of sex, $4.00.
(2) For a kennel of one to ten dogs, $30.00.
(3) For a kennel of 11 to 20 dogs, $40.00.
(4) For a kennel of 21 to 50 dogs, $50.00.
(b) No license tax shall be levied on any dog that is trained and serves as a guide dog for a blind person, that is trained and serves as a hearing dog for a deaf or hearing impaired person, or that is trained and serves as a service dog for a mobility-impaired person.
(Code 1990, § 3-1)
State law references: Amount of license tax, Code of Virginia, § 3.1-796.87.
Sec. 10-52. Evidence showing inoculation for rabies prerequisite to obtaining dog license.
No license tag shall be issued for any dog unless there is presented, to the treasurer at the time application for license is made, the amount of license tax and a current certificate of vaccination as required by Code of Virginia, § 3.1-796.84 et seq. No kennel license shall be issued unless a rabies vaccination certificate is presented for each dog in the kennel.
(Code 1990, § 3-2)
State law references: How to obtain license, Code of Virginia, § 3.1-796.86.
Sec. 10-53. When license tax payable.
License taxes on dogs shall be due and payable as follows:
1) On or before January 1 and not later than January 31 of each year, the owner of any dog four months old or older shall pay a license tax as prescribed in section 10-52.
2) If a dog shall become four months of age or come into the possession of any person between January 1 and November 1 of any year, the license tax for the current calendar year shall be paid forthwith by the owner.
3) If a dog shall become four months of age or come into the possession of any person between October 31 and December 31 of any year, the license for the succeeding calendar year shall be paid forthwith by the owner; and such license shall be valid from the date the license is purchased.
(Code 1990, § 3-3)
State law references: When license tax payable, Code of Virginia, § 3.1-796.88.
Sec. 10-54. Duplicate license tags.
If a dog license tag is lost, destroyed or stolen, the owner or custodian shall at once apply to the treasurer or his agent who issued the original license for a duplicate license tag, presenting the original license receipt. Upon affidavit of the owner or custodian before the treasurer or his agent that the original license tag has been lost, destroyed or stolen, he shall issue a duplicate license tag which the owner or custodian shall immediately affix to the collar of the dog. The treasurer or his agent shall endorse the number of the duplicate and the date issued on the face of the original license receipt. The fee for a duplicate tag for any dog shall be $1.00.
(Code 1990, § 3-4)
State law references: Duplicate license tags, Code of Virginia, § 3.1-796.91.
Sec. 10-55. Sale to begin November 1.
Dog tags for each calendar year shall be sold in serial and numerical order, beginning November 1 of the prior year and shall remain on sale until October 31 of the calendar year covered by such tags.
(Code 1990, § 3-5)
Sec. 10-56. Disposition of funds.
All funds collected by the treasurer pursuant to this division shall be paid into the general revenue fund of the county. All expenses incurred in administering this article shall be paid out of the general revenue fund of the county.
(Code 1990, § 3-6)
Sec. 10-57. Penalties for violation.
Any person violating any of the provisions of this division shall be guilty of a class 4 misdemeanor and shall be subject to punishment as provided in Code of Virginia, § 3.1-796.128.
(Code 1990, § 3-7)