The Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998 provides tax relief for passenger cars, motorcycles, and pickup or panel trucks having a registered gross weight of less than 7,501 pounds.
DOES YOUR VEHICLE QUALIFY FOR CAR TAX RELIEF?
If you can answer YES to any of the following questions, your motor vehicle is considered by State Law to have a business use and does NOT qualify for Car Tax Relief.
1. Is more than 50% of the mileage for the year used as a business expense for Federal Income Tax purposes OR reimbursed by an employer?
2. Is more than 50% of the depreciation associated with the vehicle deducted as a business expense for Federal Income Tax Purposes?
3. Is the cost of the vehicle expenses pursuant to Section 179 of the Internal Revenue Service Code?
4. Is the vehicle leased by an individual and the leasing company pays the tax without reimbursement from the individual?
5. Is the gross weight of the vehicle over 7500 lbs.?
6. Is the vehicle registered in a business name, Partnership, Corporation, or LLC (Limited Liability Company)?
7. Is the vehicle a Motor Home?
For more information on the PPTRA, please call the Commissioner of the Revenue's office at (804) 492-4280 or visit the website for the Virginia Department of Taxation.
For information about titling vehicles or driver licensing in Virginia, visit the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles website. For information about other localities visit the State and Local Government on the Net website.